Sunday, June 20, 2010

Riding with better riders...

Well it's Sunday night and i am s-m-a-s-h-e-d. I was feeling a little tired during the week, as a result of being a little to eager and jumping into training pretty hard, so i took the smart option, a couple of easy days, well...kind off. I didn't swim Wednesday arvo and it was amazing to be able to leave work and just come straight home!

I had Thursday off work, so it was decided previously in the week i would meet up with Bestie Lauryn and 2nd Mum Caroline for a early morning hills ride. We rolled out at 6am from Lauryn's and headed out through Rockingham and into the hills, up Neddleton (correct spelling??) Road. We road into Jarrahdale stopped for the worlds STRONGEST double shot flat white then road back to Lauryn's. 120k in the tank and i was buggered!! Was a good ride :). I came home relaxed ate an extremely large amount of food, the it was off for a nice 7k cruise with Paigey, and Nugget (Paige's dog). T'was a nice run, with the highlight being Nuggets un-canny ability to find her way home no matter where we were. It was funny watching her trying to lead us the short way home.

Friday unfortunetly work was in the way and i had to miss my second swim off the week!! NOT HAPPY JAN. Not to worry though, i really appreciated the rest and i believe this put me in good stead for the weekend. Friday night turned into one drink and then another, however being the sensible athlete i am, i stopped early and hydrated up with water!

Saturday morning rolled around and it was an early cruisy run around Kings Park with Bennooo, Carloline and Janet. The run was going swimmingly until about 11k through the 12, my right foot got instantly painful. I'm still not sure what happened but it feels as though someone has stood on it/ran over it. Not good. After i limped back to grab a quick coffee (I am quickly becoming an addict) it was off home to get ready for the road race.

The race was at 2pm at Baldivis with it being a graded points race, points for the top 5 over the line, over each of the 6 laps. Unfortunately (to every ones (all my "friends") satisfaction) i was moved to B-grade. Boy wasn't that a shock! I had the intention of trying a break or two, but my god those guys were good. Unfortunately i am not much of a sprinter so i was out sprinted (out of the points) on all the laps but managed to keep up with the boys...untill..with 3k to go, the peleton split. The 4 or 5 guys i was sitting behind, literally, gave up. I was so angry! (I learnt a lot about race tactics this day). I "solo'd" for 3k trying to catch the guys, i didn't give up but i just missed them :( ahh well live and learn.

This was a tough race but a really good training run. I was quite surprised and happy to be moved up to b grade after 1 race, and look forward to the future challenge and moving up further. I was stuffed Sat night and it was an early one for me...(lameo!)

Up early again this morning (Sunday) to meet Clarky and 3 other guys for some hill riding. Wow. I of the guys is heading to the TDF in two weeks to ride and follow TWENTY stages of the tour, the other was a sub 4.30 180k rider. I can honestly say, i have never ever, ever been more physically exhausted after a ride and all most after any type of physical activity. 100k ride, 60 - 70k of hills, with QUALITY riders, i was absolutely exhausted, totally smashed.

But i loved every minute of it. I am so enjoying training at the moment, with people that are much better than me. It lifts your performances 10 fold. My confidence is growing by the day! Unfortunetly my foot is still sore (still unexplainable) but i will just keep of it for a day or two as it is feeling better as time goes on. Tomorrow it's back into the pool finally :) and the usual afternoon core and upper body set. Can't wait. Hope all winter training is going well peeps. Hopefully i will see you out there. Keep it rubber side down...unless you are wearing a rubber helmet...?

I need some sleep...

Cheers

Markus