Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Busso '10

Well Busso '10 has been and gone, so here is an extremely late race report.

Getting down there a few days early was just what i needed to relax and get in the zone, get everything sorted and get some good rest. As a result i felt sprightly and ready 5am race morning. I was up early and as usual, one of the first into transition. I set up with plenty of time and went abouts making sure my other mates were ok. I was then into the water for a quick warm up, and before i knew it we were on the line. I positioned my self on the front of the line, confident with my swim. 1 minute!! was the call and i was ready. The horn went and we were off.

I had a reasonably good start and just missed the front pack of the uber swimmers, i knew Andrew Tyack would be in that pack, but i continued to swim strongly. The swim was pretty uneventful, and i came out of the water leading the 2nd pack, about 1 minute behind the others with a 29 minute swim.





Initially i was pretty disappointed with the time, but i learnt quickly that the course was "long" and my mood changed as i realised i was only a minute behind Andy and the others and ahead of Johan. After a small error in transition i had my usual blinder (11th fastest transition overall) and was onto the bike.


I set out at a conservative pace, then i saw Johan come past at about 5k in. I decided to go with him for a bit (legally). I went with him for another 5k, but his pace, although not ridiculous, was going to be to much for me for 90k so i dropped of. About 20k in i picked up another 3 guys and we went about trying to catch the front guys, i.e. Andy and Johan. We started to pick a few up but after the first lap the group split and i was on my own again. The ride was pretty uneventful with myself making a consistent effort not to draft or be caught drafting. I bonked a little at around 75k (probably from the previous efforts put in with the previous group) but managed to pop another gel and get going again. I was pretty happy with my ride in the end and came in on a 2.25, i wanted to go under 2.30. Again i had a killer transition this time having the fastest transition overall, including all the pro's yeww!! I was onto the run course.





My first 7k went well, i was hydrating and having all my nutrition properly and running at my target pace, 4 mins per k. A pace i believe i was able to maintain. I was making time on the leaders (except Johan, he would go to finish 9th overall and have a blinder) and was feeling good. However, sometimes a race doesn't go to plan and today was that day. At about 10k i blew, my mins per k blew out and i was running 4.45's. This was really disappointing but these days happen and only make you stronger. I never stopped running and ran the race out, finishing with a disappointing 4.35.

It was pretty awesome catching my twin sister Lisa on her last lap and being able to see her before running down the line, major props to her for finishing her first one. The support was amazing out there from all my training crew, Lauren, Paigey and Grace, Jess, the Tyacks and most importantly my family! Everyone was amazing and it all ways gets me so emotional out there so i thank you for your support. I was pretty pumped over the line and was pretty stuffed!





I have had about 4 weeks off now and am sooo ready to get back into training!! My new Argon E-114 is being built up and i have a few new pieces of gear that i am so ready to use when i get back into training. More importantly my motivation is back in a big way and i cannot wait to get back into it. I finished 2nd in the Triathlete of the Year awards in 20-24 Category (to Andrew, well done mate) which means I'll be racing open next year, another step up to the upper echelon or racing, something i can't wait to do.

I'm getting closer and closer to achieving my dream as racing pro, so i hope everyone can continue to follow me in my pursuit of my dream and continue the support. Its what gets me up in the morning, and what will get me there in the end

Follow your dreams

Mark Luckin