Saturday, June 5, 2010

My first road race..

Well as the title hints, today i had my first road (cycle) race. It was a part of Peel Cycle clubs season and was an out and back race from Dwellingup to Pinjara. As this was my first road race i was put i B division with there being 4, A, B, C and D. Each group was sent 5 minutes apart, with the idea being the best guys would catch the other divisions close to the line to make for an exciting finish.

I haven't ridden a road bike in a number of years (i don't even own one at the moment) so this was going to be quite the shock to me. I also have done 4 rides since busso, and sold my bike last week so haven't done any riding at all lately. But before i knew it our time had come and we were off. Clarky set a mean pace from the start and within approx 5 k the peleton was starting to split. The out and back course was extremelyyyy hilly, with a max gradient of 14%!! And very little chance for rest. I was riding comfortably in the peleton at the start untill about 7k in when on a decent a girl in front of me all most lost it big time descending. I talked to her after and we think maybe her front wheel was loose!? As she had the BIGGEST death wobbles. Unfortunately i had to pretty much stop to avoid hitting her and i immediately lost the group. Farkkk, i though and for the next 5k i had to ride solo to catch the group, i was redlining big time but JUST made it back.

I settled then hit the turn around. Our group was starting to slow so clarky and i went to the front to do a lot of work, and A LOT of work we did. There seemed to be only 3 of us working (me, clarky and the death wobbles girl) and everyone was pretty easy to sit there and do nothing. Especially annoying was the stupid young girl who kept abusing people to do work and not doing any her self, what a moron, i hope you read this and look at yourself foolish girl.

After getting pretty tired of working our arses off, we got to about 10-11k to go, the start of the pretty much constant up hill to the finish. I decided to go for it, clarky and 2 other girls came with me. Immediately we dropped all the posers, which was really satisfying. From here to be honest it was all a blur, i dropped all the others and within a few k had caught all the riders that had started ahead of us. I was in the lead with 5 k to go. However i started to cramp and was so worried about the A graders catching me, technically they should soon...

I pushed really deep and put in A LOT of effort, pushing pushing up the uphills. I finally rounded a corner and the finish line was there! I was so happy! i had a quick look behind....no one there! I had done it, my first road race and i managed to take it out :) everyone cheered as i crossed the line. I waited for all my mates to cross the line and we all had a good chat and laugh about the race. It was a really enjoyable day and i will definitely be back!

Thanks Andy T for the lend of the roadie for 9 weeks ;) and all the guys there, great fun. I'm getting more and more confident with my training and can't wait everyday, good sign! Cya on the road peeps

Peace and Love

Markus