Sunday, August 29, 2010

Perspective..

Well this week (the end part) has certainly been one of the hardest in my short recent history. On a training front it has been really good but from a personal perspective, life altering.

Monday was a great swim in the morning. I backed it up with a great 17k run in the arvo. No pace or required time, i just cruised (just recently realising the importance of long slow rides and runs) and really really enjoyed myself.

Tuesday morning and it was the usual enjoyable river ride with Clarkys, Seano and Benno. Good times. The arvo was our last hills run with the squad before we head back to the track to build that speed again, so i really put the gun down and made sure i made the most out of our last set. Although, can't wait to get back to the track. And cheers johno for the lift home afterwards ;)

Wednesday was a short pool set as we had out farewell brekky for everyone heading off to worlds in a week, love those brekkys. Still backed it up with an arvo set so still a good swim day. Thursday was the old ride into work, with a lunch time run set with seano and a failed attempt to run 1k on 2.30 (amongst other sets). owie owie haha, (our egos that is..). Big Andy T met me for a nice ride home into the headwind and a good chat.

Friday morning was the usual affair, and nice swim set. Afterwards Andy and I FINALLY got to fit in a good long ride. From mine down the freeway, up Mundijong Road, up Jarrahdale Road and the same return route. I was a really good tempo ride, and i was keen to put the pace up on Mundijong Road (a personal thing...) and was successful. Good times :) Just chilling at the shack..




There is all ways time for a cheesecake stop...




Friday night my week took a turn for the worst, when i learnt that one of my closest family friends, Greg had passed in a car crash. I was/am still absolutely shattered as a result and made for a really tough weekend. Friday night was just terrible, but wow i realised i have some amazing people around me (thank you family, Paige and Andy).


Saturday and i was up early, and all though i wasn't in the mood i knew i had to pop out and get some stuff for my good mate Edwins 21st for Sat night. What a mistake that was, when i was finally finished on my way home I was cut off and my car totalled by a lady who cut across me. I was extremely shocked and shaken up but thank god ok. The lady was really nice and admitted her fault, but it didn't change the fact that Lenny (my car) was dead :( So many memories from awesome road trips, intercar food fights and my aerial all ways struggling to go up and down haha. As a result i was unable to make it to road racing or my planned open water swim :(


After a pretty hectic 24 hours it was nice to pick up Paige and head to Edwins to celebrate his 21st. It was a really good night with the highlight definitely being playing our own version of beer pong, less exciting was my loss to Paige :( i will never live that down haha.


I was up early on Sunday morning for the City to Surf Half Marathon. Before i left i decided to write Greg's Name on my shoe. We all ways use to talk about how much we loved running, and fitness in general, with him even buying a road bike before he passed. I really wanted to run the race for him and thought it would be a nice reminder.




We got to the city with plenty of time to warm up and were finally on the starting line. I was keen for a good race, but have only just recently picked up my running k's so wasn't expecting to much. Unfortunately the race went pear shaped all most immediately when the top 20 runners (myself included) were led the wrong way and was made to run an extra 3k. Not happy.


Although i was super annoyed i didn't let this deter me to much as i was feeling surprisingly good. I was also ok as i had my GPS on so i knew i could track my own 21.1k time. I was super happy and reallyyy comfortable holding 3.45-3.50 mins per k so....i held it. I ran through 21.1k with a time of 1.18. I was really psyched because i honestly felt really comfortable and good. I clocked over 21k and still had 3k to go, so i cruised the last 3k and ran in at 1.29 for 23.6k.


That brings us to now. This week, this weekend especially really put things into perspective for me. Family and friends are the most important thing, something that should never ever be forgotten. I've certainly learnt how lucky i am, to have my family and to have people like Andy and my training friends. Paige you are also the most amazing person ever and really really helped me through a tough time this weekend, i really really appreciate you and everything you have done for me.


Train hard, stay strong people


Markus


RIP Greg