Sunday, September 5, 2010

A week closer

Another week down and the Gold Coast is only 4 weeks away.

Not really in the blogging mood today so this one will be short and sweet. After a pretty rough weekend last weekend, Monday and Tuesday were more or less recovery days. Wednesday I was back into it with a short swim and long windtrainer/run set. Wednesday night i got to run swimming as Brian was absent - something i really enjoyed. It's great to see training from another perspective.

I had Wed/Thurs/Fri off work, so Thursday i fit in a good track set and another nice ride. Friday rolled around and it was back to squad for a tough little set and a goood brekky with scotty afterwards. After a quick hangout, Andy and I met up with Johan early arvo for a good hills ride. The pace was fairly good, with Johan leading the way. We ended up getting in about 90k, a little more than expected but a really good ride.
Saturday morning was up early to meet Seano at Champion Lakes for an open water swim. My god, i think it was actually the coldest water i have ever swum in. But it was good to get a nice little set in. I decided to give Saturday Road Racing a miss in favour for my tt bike (she's so pretty). So i hit up a "here to Jarrahdale and back" ride. It was a really good ride with some tough winds to fight. (Thanks Paige and Di for the refueling at the shack - i actually didn't want to leave..). I got back and found my self running off the bike, 10k on under 4 minute pace. I was really happy with this, as I'd smashed myself on the bike and felt good running. Needless to say, once again on Saturday night i was in the proverbial hurt box. And after a couple of beers... :/

Sunday morning and Andy and I had signed up for the ATTA Champion Lakes TT. We rode there and i think we both realised we were in a bit of trouble on the way - we were struggling after big Saturdays. Andy was off first and i got to watch his whole race as i was over 30 mins after him. He rode well and is certainly picking up his fitness fast (starting to get worried (me)). It finally came to my time and i was off. Oh dear S-T-Ruggle town. I was hurting the whole way around and really struggled to get going. I put down an ok time, but certainly well below what i am capable off. That's ok, bigger picture. Turns out it was a pb by 2 mins from last year, so got to be happy with that considering the shape i was in.

Well as usual, that brings us to now. I did have a two hour run planned this arvo, but in the name of recovery and quality training, it has been postponed 'till tomorrow arvo. A smart move on my behalf if i don't say so myself.

Its been a fairly interesting week with a few ups and downs, but things are looking good on all fronts.

Stay classy

Markus