Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Motivation baby!

Good morning, evening or night avid reader

It's been a while, a while since I've written something in this blog. Funnily enough that leads me to the theme of this post

GREAT SEGWAY MARK

When thinking the other day "wow that one guy from Mexico who thinks I am actually Marky Mark from the Funky Bunch keeps bugging me to write something new" I thought to myself, why haven't I been writing lately?? Truth be told because I haven't had a lot to write about, why? WHY MARK WHY? AND WHY AM I YELLING AT MYSELF!?

I digress, so let me pre empt the above with a little story.

Pre Vegas 70.3 World Champs I was on top of the world. I was the fittest I'd ever been, I was swimming riding and running faster than I ever had. I was confident and ready to race. I was ready for a big result.

It didn't come, I had a terrible day at Vegas and from that race haven't been the same up until very recently. One thing I've noticed about Triathletes is that most of us are obsessive compulsive type personalities. We get introduced to the sport, get addicted and commit ourselves to the sport completely (not everyone but certainly the competitive group of triathletes)

This is great, it gets us fit, healthy, more attractive to the opposite sex exceptwheninlycra or ifwepeeourpantsontherun (ladiessss) and (after parties exempt) it saves our cash going towards expensive nights out. But what do we get when things don't go our way, when we spend the whole winter preparing for one race and we don't get the result.

Some people get annoyed, depressed and unmotivated. It happened to me and I did NOT see it coming. It's been a long road back for me so I thought why not share my experience as an age grouper. I read a lot of articles from professionals but I find it easier to relate to age group friends going through the same thing.

So I present below

Lucky's top 10 super happy awesome fun helpful tips to get you back in the pool on the bike running again and looking super fit for the ladies or men and getting super awesome finisher medals again
(pretty good title eh?)

Tip 1:
TAKE A BREAK
I got back from Vegas, got food poisoning and tried to race Mandurah 70.3 this was the start of a few month long spiral for me. The best advice I can give to an age grouper post a big race that DOES or DOESN'T go your way is take a break! Let your body absorb all of that training, let it recover, let your mind recover!
Have a drink, remember those friends that don't race? Catch an appletini with them (whatttt I don't drink appletini's...)

Tip 2:
When you are ready to return eassseeee in. Hot tip, you probably won't set a new FTP test max you first ride back, or your second ride....

Tip 3:
LISTEN TO YOUR COACH
I wish I'd started doing this earlier, when my coach told me to take a break and I didn't I suffered, they know best, would you pay for service and not use it? In essence it's the same as a coach

Tip 4:
When you start back up again, do the sessions that you really enjoy doing, love riding? Easy runs along the coast, always the easiest to get back too

Tip 5:
Don't push it!! It's taken me a lot longer to get back and really motivated but that's ok. I tried to push myself into it earlier and it did NOT happen for me.
A lot of talk revolves around listening to your body, but listen to your mind also, if your not enjoying it maybe you need a couple more sleep ins

Tip 6:
BUY SOMETHING PRETTY
Totally works for me all the time, seriously, nothing more motivating than a new piece of kit to try out, whether it's a sweet new pair of runners or a brand new bike. I know a really great bunch of guys at Total Tri that might be able to help you out with that ;)

Tip 7:
Remember why you are doing this.
I don't think I've ever met anyone who after their first Triathlon said "I'm doing this to be world champion" that comes over time for some, but for most of us it's the enjoyment, being fit and the social scene, base some sessions around that.
I love my coffee rides :)

I don't claim to be an expert on this whole process but these few pointers have certainly helped me now I am back training properly again. Also I apologise for the fact that there are only 7 tips, feel free to email me more

Next up for me, Geraldton Olympic Distance!! Lucky is back racing!!!

Cheers :)