Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hmmm

Oh the sweet irony of the title of my last post..

Since then i hit up 2 sweet swims and 3 wind trainer sets in 3 days, and i was feeling goodddd. Saturday came around and i wasn't feeling 100%, however i decided to hit up my usual road race regardless. I was left in B grade even though i hadn't raced for 3 weeks and was ready to get smashed. Farrr out the pace was hot from the start, 7 laps - 9k each, and an honest pace not dropping below 40kph. As if that wasn't bad enough, constant attempts at breaks. It was tough! I was keen in keeping it real though and doing my work at the front and working on catching attempted breaks.

This was all going swimmingly until the end of lap 5/start of lap 6, long story short, the final break that broke the proverbial back. I was soooo annoyed. Again i found myself in the position of trying to "solo" to get back into the pack, what i realised at this time was however, we had shredded a lot of riders over the five laps. After a whole lap of trying to keep in touch it was pretty clear that the pack weren't going to let me catch up.

I used the last lap as more of a warm down and made sure i thanked all of the the guys who all ways spend their time out the at the corners stopping cars etc. Good on you! :)

Things haven't got much better, as i woke up this morning feeling worse (flu)...a day off and I'll see how i feel in the morning..fingers crossed. But if there is one thing i have learnt over these past few weeks, it's to be patient and recover properly.

I hope you peeps are having a little more luck than me :) keep training hard over the winter! And in the words of Bear Grylls "when you are not training, someone else is training, and when you meet them, they will win". Haha but what about taper time and recovery Bear? :P

Cheers guys

Markus