Monday, September 3, 2012

A Hed wheel review

Before leaving for Vegas 70.3 I was in a predicament. No race wheels. I didn’t want to take my disc over to the hilly course that is Vegas. I needed something light, aero and fast. Total Tri had me covered.

Enter the Hed Stinger (6 and 7)

I’ve been using a variety of wheels for races over the last 4-5 years, but these new Heds are something else. They are far and away the best wheels I’ve used, why? Read away!

I’ve been riding these wheels for almost 2 weeks now, in training and in a prep Olympic distance triathlon for Vegas 70.3 worlds. The rolling resistance in these wheels are incredible. I honestly feel as though these wheels are giving me a much larger amount of free speed than I have ever experienced from a set of race wheels. Smooth fast and confidence inspiring, exactly what a light guy like me is after in a set of wheels.

The R & D put into these new wheels in prevalent as at speed I feel like I’m putting out less watts. Actually all I have to do is look at the data, I am putting out less watts. In fact last weekend I had one of my quickest bike times over an Olympic distance race. I raced an unknown course, a couple of days after 30 hours of travel and out rode everyone on the course, love it.

I’d love to say this is all due to my fitness, but that would be a lie, I have to thank Hed for that increased in speed.

Like I touched on before, being a smaller guy I have suffered in the past from being thrown around by a set of race wheels. I was absolutely stoked when I rode this set for the first time and on subsequent rides after and did not suffer like usual. I’m confident in the wind in the aero position, a refreshing change (that said I’m sure these wheels would be a superior ride for all weights).

As well as them being incredibly fast in a race environment, for a race wheel they have been bullet proof to train on an extremely comfortable ride. Climbing, rough roads, aero position, descending you name it, I’ve been comfortable on these, a complete package I have found to be very rare on a set of race wheels.

Simply if you are after a comfortable, smooth, confidence inspiring and fast ride. Look no further. Oh and boy they look good ;)
 
 

Great wheels.. Thank you Total Tri and Hed for the opportunity.