Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Interclubs

Well a couple more weeks down, and with out jinxing my self i think it's safe to say i am finally back on track. I have had a real good couple of weeks of training under my belt and am really feeling good again. It also seems that i have not lost as much fitness as first feared which is always a relief.

My two weeks since my last post have consisted of solid sets, swims, bikes and runs. The major highlight being watching the WA Ironman last Sunday. Ironman's are simply amazing events, whether you are there to watch the pro's, a mate or anyone, it is simply awe-inspiring. I had the honour of watching a few of my close friends compete, which made for an incredible day. Everyone did an amazing job and i can honestly say it was one of the greatest days i have had, out there cheering with Paige, Grace, Johno and Mikey Mike for Seano, Ben(s), Clarky(s), Marky Mark, Brucey, Dan and others. Incredible job guys and thanks for further inspiring me.

This past weekend i managed to fit two races in. On Saturday i competed in a 1600 meter open water swim at Freo. I was certain i was going to get smashed but managed to not embarrase myself too badly with a fifth in my age group and a respectable time. I was actually pretty happy considering 95% of these competitors were all swimmers and not the usual triathlete crowd.

The swim was followed by a trip up too one of my favourite places, "the shack" in Jarrahdale for a nice hills ride with Paige. We hit up Jarrahdale road - Mundijong road and back, which was a solid ride. From there paige smartly headed back to the shack as i hit up some further k's down some incredibly huge dam climbs - not the best prep for Sundays race but a look at the bigger picture was required.

Up early Sunday morning and we left the shack and were off to Interclubs in Mandurah for the Sprint distance race. I had no idea how i was going to go, but was keen to have a good hit out. We were off at 7.40am and i was pleasently surprised to find my self comfortably swimming in the lead pack for 70% of the swim, it was only when i copped an almighty kick to the face i just lost touch, loosing about 20 seconds. But i was in a good position.

Onto the bike and i was feeling not to shabby, i was riding well and was only being taken by a few stronger riders. It was a tight and windy course and good fun. It was also great to hear so many people cheering out there :D
I came off the bike still in touch with the leaders and was feeling good. Immediately out of transition i passed about 6 -7 people in the first 300 meters and continued to build my pace.

I felt really strong the whole run and really ran through the field. The run was a little long but i ended up running the 5k below 3.39 pace - not bad for a half marathon runner :P I managed to sneak into the top 10 overall which was a real pleasant surprise and there was only 40 seconds between me and 5th. Thanks for the cheering, Family, Paige, Elyse, Benno and Marky Mark. Afterwards we had a great brekky with the family at Dome (who's tagline "world's greatest coffee" i still have an issue with...) before heading home.

In the afternoon i had another 12k run to complete which on slightly tired race legs was a little challenging, but i managed to make it through. This week has also been consistent and I am looking forward to some more solid sets.

Also well done to my best mate Andy for a great performance in the Canberra Half Ironman on the weekend. After a great first run (it was turned into a duathlon) he had one of the fastest rides of the day, unfortunately he had a pretty major Achilles problem to deal with on the run, but gutted it through with a solid result. Respect. Also well done to Johan with a 5th overall!! Awesome performance mate. And to Scotty who it's good to see him finally getting a good race together (nutrition and all) for a solid result. Well done chief.

Train hard, and recover well Ironmen/women

Cheers